Heart of NC Wine Trail
Because the wineries on this trail are all close to home you can make your Wine Trail excursion a one day event to hit all 5 or go to a different spot each day. All five wineries are conveniently located in Chatham, Wake and Durham Counties.
The highlights of this trail include the variety and selection of award-winning wines and the chance to talk with the wine-maker’s and owners themselves. Visit for a tasting and then bring some of your favorite wine home to share the memories of the Wine Trail.
Vineyards at Southpoint
The grape vines were planted here in April 2009 complimenting an incredibly beautiful piece of land that was rich in a history of farming and family. The wines from these vineyards have won Double Gold, Gold, Silver, and Bronze in commercial wine competitions.
- Location: 8913 N.C. Highway 751, Durham, NC 27713
- Wines: WHITES: Vidal Blanc Mellow, Chardonnay, Viognier Reserve; REDS: Chambourcin, Cabernet Franc, Cabernet Sauvignon, Prestige
- Tastings: Open for tastings and vineyard tours on Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays – 12 noon until 6 pm, or by special appointment (private tastings, group events).
- Contact: 919-544-6291
- Website: Vineyards at Southpoint
Cloer Family Vineyards
Cloer Family Vineyards is only the second family-owned farm in the immediate Triangle area that grows its own grapes and produces its own wines on-site. The entire Cloer family is involved in the process.
- Location:8624 Castleberry Road, Apex, NC 27523
- Wines: WHITES: Carlos & Veranda; REDS: Noble &Chambourcin
- Tastings: Tastings are available any time during operating hours and cost only $5.00. You can also arrange private wine tastings and tours upon request.
- Contact: 919-387-5760
- Website: Cloer Family Vineyards
Open in 2000, SilkHope Winery is a small, family-owned winery in the heart of North Carolina’s Piedmont wine region. Their award-winning wines are grown on a 2-1/2 acre vineyard and yields a variety of wine grapes, including Chambourcin, Cabernet Franc, Norton, Vidal Blanc, and Traminette.
- Location: SilkHope Gum Springs Road, Pittsboro, NC
- Wines: WHITES: Traminette, White Merlot, Seyval Blanc, Vidal Blanc, White Chambourcin; REDS: Chambourcin, Norton, Grand Vista, Cabernet Franc, Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve
- Tastings: Thursday – Saturday from 10 am – 5 pm & Sunday 12 pm – 5 pm
- Contact: 919-545-5696
- Website: SilkHope Winery
Using local NC honey, this wine is crafted into award-winning honey wine. Mead cultures developed in Africa, Asia and the Slavic countries, as well as northern Europe, honey being an easily available and easily storable fermentable sugar.
- Location: 480 Hillsboro Street, Suite 1000, Pittsboro, NC 27312
- Meads: Traditional Off-Dry Mead, Traditional Semi-Sweet Mead, Blackberry Off-Dry Mead, Blackberry Mead, Sweet Peach, Spiced Apple, Cranberry Orange, Kinckin Cranberry Orange.
- Tastings: Thursday through Saturday from 12 pm – 6 pm & Sunday 12 pm – 5 pm
- Contact: 919-533-6314
- Website: Starrlight Mead
Horizon Cellars is a premiere, award-winning and nationally recognized boutique winery established in 2003. Situated on 20 acres, the 4,875 square foot wine making facility and adjoining vineyard is located in the historic community of Mount Vernon Springs, a few minutes south of Siler City.
- Location: 466 Vineyard Ridge, Siler City, NC 27344
- Wines: WHITES: Chardonnay, Viognier, Late Harvest Viognier, Late Harvest Vidal REDS: Syrah, Cabernet Franc, Chambourcin, Cabernet Sauvignon, Petit Verdot Reserve, Prestige Reserve.
- Tastings: Thursday through Sunday from 12 pm – 6 pm
- Contact: 919-742-1404
- Website: Horizon Cellars
Other Local Wineries and Resources
- Benjamin Vineyards & Winery – 6516 Whitney Road, Saxapahaw, NC 27253
- Wolf Wines – 8973 Old Plank Rd. Snow Camp, NC 27349
- Visit NC Wine
Photo by Elias Maser.